three whole (six split) chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
three tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock, ideally homemade
two chicken bouillon cubes
12 tablespoons (one one/two sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups yellow onions, chopped (two onions)
3/four cup all-function flour
1/four cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for two minutes
one (ten-ounce) package deal frozen peas (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups frozen small complete onions
one/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
three cups all-purpose flour
one 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
one teaspoon baking powder
1/two cup vegetable shortening
one/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
one/two to two/3 cup ice water
one egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to forty minutes, or until finally cooked by means of. Set aside until finally amazing ample to take care of, then eliminate the meat from the bones and discard the skin. Lower the chicken into large dice. You will have 4 to six cups of cubed chicken.
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-lower heat for 10 to 15 minutes, till translucent. Include the flour and cook in excess of lower heat, stirring continuously, for two minutes. Add the sizzling chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over minimal heat for 1 more minute, stirring, till thick. Add two teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and hefty cream. Include the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, onions and parsley. Combine effectively.
- For the pastry, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the shortening and butter and mix quickly with your fingers until finally every piece is coated with flour. Pulse ten times, or until finally the unwanted fat is the dimension of peas. With the motor working, include the ice water approach only adequate to moisten the dough and have it just come collectively. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead rapidly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. Divide the dough into quarters and roll each and every piece into an eight-inch circle. Brush the outdoors edges of every bowl with the egg wash, then spot the dough on leading. Trim the circle to 1/2-inch more substantial than the prime of the bowl. Crimp the dough to fold more than the side, pressing it to make it stick. Brush the dough with egg wash and make three slits in the prime. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked pepper. Location on a baking sheet and bake for one hour, or till the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling sizzling.
Copyright 2005, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
My Personal Notes
Searching for Something Else?
Let’s Get Cooking!